Pages

January 5, 2012

goals for 2012

Welcome to 2012 no one everyone! I rang in the new year back in Chicago with my high school friends after spending a relaxing week back at my parents house for the holidays. Mini-vacation back home was a big success. It wasn't a white Christmas, but I'm so thin skinned now after living out in California, so I was thankful for the mild weather.


The ladies (Aunt, Sis, Cousin, Me, Mom) and their cocktails

As expected, I was less than psyched to be back to the grind Monday morning. Work is always a little hectic these days, but inspired by few weeks of over doing it on peppermint bark, champagne, and laying on my couch, I was more than ready to get back to the gym. 

And what better way to inspire your workout than a little cash on the line? Earlier this week, I stumbled upon GymPact, a new iPhone app, (via blogger Caitlin) that keeps you monetarily accountable to hit up the gym. After downloading GymPact, which launched on January 1, you commit to working out a set # of times per week and are penalized (by an amount of your choosing) for each time you miss the mark. All you have to do is check into a verified gym location and GymPact verifies your workout via GPS on your iPhone. If you meet your goal, you get paid out by the other GymPact who missed workouts.


I committed to hitting the gym 3 times this week and put $5 on the line for missing a workout. I'm psyched to say I fit in 3 times this week with a trip to Spin, Yoga and weight training. Now this girl is just waiting to see how much she gets paid after GymPact takes "attendance" of its users at the end of the week. Word on the street - you earn between $0.50-$1 per workout, but I'll report back on that later. 




The CEO and founder Yifan just sent me an e-mail to let me know she loves the New York location of my SF Yoga studio. She's a recent Harvard grad who just launched her own iPhone app. Very impressed. Okay, end of girl crush session.


I find our motivation to make healthy choices to be pretty fascinating. (Maybe it's the nerdy behavioral economist in me.) The immediate gratification of being lazy/eating a brownie sundae often outweighs the delayed gratification of fitting into our skinny jeans.  I've always been a big fan of fitness goals and training plans to motivate myself. Actually, I think that starting this blog will be a great way to add accountability to my goals. 




Goals for 2012:


1) Compete in a triathlon. I'm excited to continue to challenge myself on the bike (think faster climbing). This is going to require that I reacquaint myself with swimming and running, but I'm up for the challenge. More on this later.


2) Start a blog. Update said blog. I have no real goals for this blog other than to improve my writing and photography skills and make some new friends. I'm excited to see where it goes.


3) Drink more water. I'll admit I'm quite the coffee and Diet Coke addict (damn you free drink fridge). Look, I've already started.

4) Do a pull-up. Just one, unassisted. I've unsuccessfully made this resolutions for years. I'm actually working with a personal trainer over at my gym and let her know about this goal. I go to training with my gym buddy Sarah (she's getting cut for her wedding next September) and I convinced her to set this goal too. It's going to be fun to have a buddy and a trainer to help us meet this goal.

5) Climb Halfdome. Gorgeous, eh?


6) Do something creative. I'd love to take a water color or photography class, or make some artwork for my walls. I've definitely missed using this part of my brain the past couple of years.

7) Read one book a month. I have a hard time picking up a book unless my room is spotless, the dishes are done, and I've thoroughly researched what restaurant to chow down at over the weekend. Once I get hooked though, I can't seem to put it down. Any suggested reading?

That's all for now. I'll be honest, there are a lot of other areas in my life that could use improving in the coming year. For example, I think 2012 calls for keeping in better touch with friends and family and some long overdue professional soul searching. Perhaps the blog will help with both...

Can't wait to see what else 2012 has in store for me. I'm all about going out and making life what you want it to be, but I think it's just as important to embrace opportunities as they come to you. 

What are your goals for the coming year?

Cheers!
Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment

X